Saturday, May 18, 2013, 9am to 3pm
The workshop equips each prospective adoptive parent with the information needed to successfully pursue domestic private adoption.
A practical "how to" guide to successful private adoption, the workshop's goal is to launch couples and singles on an accelerated path to parenthood. Experience and advice will be shared by those directly involved with domestic adoption, including adoption attorneys, social workers, adoptive parents as well as a birthmother.
This workshop will cover:
- Legal information for Virginia, Maryland, and District of Columbia
- How to complete a Home Study
- Open adoption or retaining confidentiality
- How to avoid a contested adoption
- Advertising strategies, including word-of-mouth networking and use of the Internet
- Success stories and lessons learned, shared by recent adoptive parents
- A birthmother's perspective
- Education and support services FPA provides waiting parents